Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

Very hot day



Another horribly hot day, even worse, than a week ago.  The poor chickens all that suffering in the heat again!

Just now the temperature was 44C.

And just now, as a last resort I dipped two of my chickens, the older ones, in a bucket of cool water.  I was afraid they wouldn't make it, they were panting so heavily, wings held up, and just looked so miserable as if they were ready to give up.

As I was holding them down in the bucket with the water coming up to about chest level, it was so interesting to feel the reaction of their bodies.







I expected them to be fighting with me, but no, just the opposite.  I could feel their muscles relax immediately.  Then the panting stopped and they were just enjoying it!  As if " ahhh, this feels sooo good...".  I let them have the bath for about half a minute, maybe it's enough to cool the blood a bit I thought.

Important update: I talked to our vet this morning and he advises to only do the dipping when the weather is dry.  In humid weather the chickens could get sick from this!



Apart from ice blocks in their water throughout the day, the girls also got some cottage cheese, straight from the fridge to cool them in the inside as well.  I often give them some, they just love it!


Chooks loving the cool cottage cheese



Yuuuum!

It's generally not advised to give dairy to chickens, but this is all raw, with all the enzymes intact.  I made it from raw soured milk.  I don't think they would have any allergies from this, plus it's great probiotics for them!






No comments:

Post a Comment