Pages

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Green smoothie




On my first day of 'I really want to lose weight' program I had my green smoothie prepared.  I enjoyed it in three instalments.  It is very filling.

I didn't want to drink too much in one take as it would've expanded my stomach too much.  And I want just the opposite, don't I?

I think it contains most, if not all the nutrients I need.  One other thing I thought I might put in next time is a spoonful of lecithin, because of the egg and the fat in the smoothie.

I used the best ingredients available for me; my own greens (a mixture, and I will try to use different ones each time); organic or biodynamic apple; cold pressed, extra virgin coconut oil; my own sour milk from raw organic fresh milk; raw egg from my chickens; organic molasses; unpasteurized raw honey.

I would not use raw egg or milk from an unreliable source.  I would also not use fat which is not good quality as it would have the opposite effect to what I want.  Pasteurized honey would be more like sugar, missing the enzymes.  Apple, because I eat the peel as well, must be organic, but juicing apple (have some blemishes) is perfectly fine, and they are less expensive.

Other greens I can use at other times: parsley, celery, other types of lettuce (except iceberg), gotu kola (the arthritis herb), brahmi (very bitter, but good for you), rocket, cress, watercress, dandelion leaves in spring, chicory leaves, silverbeet, spinach, turnip leaves... and I am sure there many more still.

Instead of the sour milk I could've used some kefir, but not pasteurized normal milk.  Maybe some good quality cultured yoghurt.

Here are the ingredients I used today:


Today's Green Smoothie

200 ml sour milk
1 raw egg
small tbsp honey
1 tsp molasses
1 heaped tbsp coconut oil
4 kale leaves
half a mignonette lettuce
couple of red lettuce leaves
2 large radicchio leaves
3 comfrey leaves
1 apple


I washed all the greens and the egg.
I put in the blender the sour milk, the honey, molasses and the egg.



Then a heaped tablespoon of coconut oil.




Then I added the greens, removing only the thickest part of the stalk on the kale leaves.





The blender had plenty of room still (1.8 litre capacity), so I though let's add some more greens.



I picked some comfrey leaves in the garden. Washed them and in they went.




There was still plenty of room for more, but that's enough now I thought.




I briefly pressed the pulse button 3-4 times, and the blender sucked the greens down very easily.  (I was worried the liquid wouldn't be enough for that.)




Then I pressed the 'On' button, and let the machine run for half a minute to liquidize the greens.  The result was okay, but tiny green particles were still visible.    I decided that was just fine with me.




So added the last ingredient; the apple, seeds and all, only I cut it into eight pieces.



And that's when I realised that I hadn't paid attention to the speed dial at all.  It was on just above 2 the whole time.  So I turned it to 3.5 and did a half a minute last blending.

This was the result:



Well, it is not a Vitamix, but I am pretty happy with the result of this machine, for the fraction of the price (and a glass jug!) of the other.

My juice was really smooth (although I am not that fussy, it's only that the nutrients would get absorbed better this way), it was tasty and filling and surely very healthy.  What more would I want especially when on a diet?!



No comments:

Post a Comment