Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Sick chicken




Having a sick chicken I believe is one of the most frustrating things in life.  For various reasons it’s usually up to the owner to deal with it, and if the owner is not very experienced …

A few days ago, when we had that horrible, close to 40 degrees heat (104F!), one of my chickens was very sick.
When I let them out in the morning, she didn’t rush out with the other three as she usually does.  She was still up on the perch and was looking back at me.  Her beak was open.  And then, I heard a funny rattly noise.  My heart squeezed when I realised it was coming from her. 

“What happened to you??” I asked, because she was perfectly alright the day and night before, in fact she was the boss of the four of them lately.  She continued to look at me somewhat strangely and breathing with that noise, “See, I am not okay, do something”.  I watched her a little longer, thoughts rushing in my head about what could be wrong with her and what I should do.

At the end I decided to wait maybe half an hour and see what happens. 
When a little later I checked on her, she was outside, just standing around, not eating and not drinking.  And the rattly noise and open mouth was constant.

I was searching on the internet, reading forums and websites frantically, trying to figure out what was wrong with her.  At the end I decided the best would be to get some antibiotic medication. 

I brought her inside, as the temperature was getting quite high by then, and put her in a box covered with a wire drawer.  Hoping that the dogs won't bother her, I placed the box under the dining chair.  She had some water in a small bowl.  My husband, L. went to the vet hospital to get some antibiotics.  


I made a video of her noisy breathing, hopefully it plays okay:




One of my dogs, Lily - who was watching all the happenings, and probably picked up on the vibes (she is VERY smart!) - decided that chooky needed protection, and positioned herself next to the box.  She remained there for the next several hours, growling at the other dog, Tina or the cat, Cica, when either of them approached the box closer than 2 metres.  Isn’t she a great friend.  To the chooks, that is.

Lily and her protege


L. came back with no medication; apparently they are not to give it like that, without examining the animal.  Bad news.  Then we rang our vet, whom I had no idea understood and knew chickens, in fact he likes them and he has some, too!   First good news of the day, we should’ve started there! 

We took chooky and half an hour later emerged with a diagnosis (chronic respiratory disease), antibiotics and instructions for the next 21 days. 
Plus, now I know who to turn to when we have any problems with our chickens.   What a relief!  






No comments:

Post a Comment