Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Swedish Knackebrot or Crispbread



Oh, these ARE yummy.


We love these crackers so much that I bake them every 4-5 days to have a constant supply.  My husband drinks green tea during the day, these crackers go perfectly with it.  Somehow sweet things don’t seem to fit in with green tea, only black tea or coffee.  Funny.

We used to buy Dr Karg’s cripbread.  Oh, they are very nice, but the speed they seem to disappear here would call for a lotto win to say the least.
I searched on the web to find a suitable recipe so I could make them myself for much less cost.

These were my inspirations:




I’ve made a few changes along the way, like I don’t use baking powder, and I soak the flax seed for at least 2 hours to prevent the oil in the seed go bad during baking (I was reading about this in a book about the good and bad oils).

Sometimes I soak the flax together with the rolled oats (as per Sally Fallon’s advice).  Sometimes they soak overnight, and that is fine, too.

Also, I like to use wholemeal rye flour instead of wheat.



Recipe - Swedish Knackebrot or Crispbread

This recipe is enough for 2 or 3 oven trays depending on the size of the tray.

Ingredients
  • 120 g Rye flour
  • 120 g Rolled oats
  • 100 g Sunflower seeds
  • 50 g Sesame seeds
  • 50 g Flax seeds
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 500 ml Water or whey

Directions

1. Soak flaxseed in half the liquid for 2 hours.

I like to use whey or the juice of sauerkraut when we have it.

The seeds become gelatinous; the soaked up liquid will prevent the oil to get ruined during cooking.



2. Add the rolled oats and the rest of the liquid to soak for another half hour.




3. Turn oven on 170 celsius or 150 if fan-forced


4. Mix in the rest of the ingredients.







The batter should look and feel a bit runny but not too runny.  It should slide off the spatula but not in a hurry.  It shouldn't run off.  Sorry, I can't explain this better, maybe a photo will help:




5. Smear the batter 3mm thin onto paper covering the oven tray.  I actually find it easier to smear the batter onto paper whilst the paper is on the table, then I slide it onto the tray.
It's a bit fiddly, this smearing.  I like the crackers thin, so I try to make sure the batter completely covers the paper but it's not thick:







6. Put in the oven but take it out after 10 minutes and divide into pieces with a knife. Once it's baked it cannot be cut:

I use a large chopping knife and press down with it to make slices


7. Bake for about 20 or 30 more minutes, but check regularly.

They need to be crispy all through but not burnt.
If your oven bakes uneven like mine, change and turn the biscuits, remove the baked ones, etc.



They are lovely as they are or with a bit of cheese on top, or for scooping out dips (careful, they brake very easily, your finger might end up in the dip, so use this method in the company of good friends only!)




No comments:

Post a Comment